The 4-sign exercise
The 4-sign exercise is an MET (muscle energy technique) A low grade, low risk, static posture to help ease muscles from potential spasm.
A muscle in spasm for more than 6 weeks can turn fibrotic, where it has less ease and restricted movement.
In the long term this can imbalance your physical posture, causing a variety of different issues throughout the body.
- Lie on your back.
- Bend both knees and keep both feet on the floor.
- Make sure your head and neck are comfortable.
- Use a cushion or block behind the head for neck or lower back pain.
- Place the ankle of one leg across the other (in a figure 4 position)
- Gently press the ankle to the top of the thigh (as if you are turning your leg out.)
- Press 20% of your maximum effort.
- Hold for 20 seconds (keeping the tension even throughout)
- (Relax - Give the leg a shake)
- REPEAT x 4
- Stretch the glute muscles after for maximum benefit.